Established in 2012, this travel Scholarship has been generously donated by Mr Jeffrey Hilton and Ms Suzanne Coleman to enable an outstanding postgraduate student in the Department of Classics and Ancient History to focus on a concentrated period of research whilst in residency at the British School at Rome (BSR).
- To be eligible for the Scholarship, applicants must be an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident.
- Applicants must be enrolled full-time in a Doctor of Philosophy in the Department of Classics and Ancient History at the University of Sydney, and should be in their penultimate or final year of studies.
- Applicants are to be engaged in archaeological, historical, or literary research on some aspect of the Roman Empire up until AD 476.
Value & Duration
$42,000 and is tenable for six months only. It is intended to:
- pay for residential costs and tuition fees at BSR. This covers board, lodging, administration and also contributes towards the costs of the full programme of lectures, events and visits offered by the BSR to all of its residents,
- cover the cost of a return economy airfare from Sydney to Rome,
- cover the cost of obtaining an Italian visa, and
- provide a lump sum payment from any remaining funds to the successful recipient.
The Scholarship value will be paid:
- Direct to the BSR on receipt of invoices for residential costs and tuition fees,
- Direct to the successful recipient on receipt of invoices of return economy airfare from Sydney to Roma and Italian visa cost, and
- Direct to the successful recipient in a lump sum payment of any remaining funds (once 4.b.I and 4.b.II have been confirmed).
Opening Date: 13 August 2018
Application Form: Closed
Close Date: 10 October 2018 at 11:59pm
Conditions: Read more