Students can apply for an OS-HELP loan at any point throughout the year (within 6 months of the start of overseas travel). Please note however, that the University only has a limited number of OS-HELP loans available and this allocation may be exhausted prior to the end of any year.
Once an application has been submitted, the assessment process takes approximately three weeks. Payment is generally made around 6 weeks after your initial application, however this will be delayed if any part of your application, documentation or eCAF is incomplete or incorrect. Students who meet the eligibility criteria at the time of application and submit complete applications with all documentation will be given higher priority in the loan assessment process.
Please note that OS-HELP loans will not be paid until all supporting documents (Faculty approval of credit towards degree and confirmation of placement or exchange at an overseas institution) have been provided.
OS-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students, who are based in Australia to undertake some of their study overseas.
For 2018, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is:
- $6,665 (if you will not be studying in Asia); or
- $7,998 if you will be studying in Asia; and
- an additional $1,065 if you will be undertaking an Asian language study, specifically in preparation for your study in Asia.
Note that the loan for language studies must be for non-award study, which does not form part of your course/credit of your overseas study or university degree.
To be eligible for consideration for OS-HELP assistance, a student must:
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder or a New Zealand citizen who has been a long-term resident of Australia since childhood and meet certain eligibility criteria (see the Study Assist website for details); and
- be undertaking a course of study as a Commonwealth supported student, leading to a higher education award at Flinders University; and
- have successfully completed at least 36 units of study undertaken in Australia towards the course of study for which the assistance is being sought; and
- be undertaking full-time study overseas; and
- have their overseas study count as credit towards their course of study; and
- be required to undertake at least 4.5 units of study in order complete their course of study on return from their overseas study
OS-HELP assistance will not be granted to a student who:
- has received OS-HELP on more than one other occasion; or
- has been granted an OS-HELP loan for an overlapping six month study period
Application for an OS-HELP loan is a two stage process:
- Applications should be submitted online through the Flinders University Student Information System. Applicants will need to login and navigate to the My Scholarships tab to submit an application. The application form is called "OS-HELP". Please read the how to apply page and ensure all of your personal details are up-to-date in Student Two before applying as you will be assessed using the information in the Student System, including home and semester address, citizenship etc.
- Once you have submitted your online application, your application will be assessed. If you meet all of the eligibility criteria and your application is approved, you will need to submit an OS-HELP debt confirmation form to Student Finance Services.
For further information about OS-HELP assistance including repayment details please visit the Australian Government Study Assist website or download the 2017 OS-HELP Statement of terms and conditions.