My advice would be to learn as much as you can from the people around you, see the best way to do and go about things but at the same time be proactive in trying to be involved and show your interest to demonstrate what you are capable of
Why did you decide to join the construction industry?
- As I decided that I wanted to begin a career, not just a job
- To develop specialist skills and knowledge
- To enter an industry with no limits and the possibility of working abroad.
- To work on cutting edge projects
Why did you choose to join Icon?
- The company has solid values, good community presence and business ethics stemming from its core values. As well as high retention rate among its staff & focus on professional development for its workers.
- Icon was also desirable due to the many offices around Australia and Internationally offering a chance to work in different locations and projects.
What things have you really enjoyed doing at work?
- Problem-solving and resolving issues on site
- Developing confidence and professionalism in terms of how things are done.
- Learning from my team members and becoming more confident.
- Gaining general construction knowledge and seeing a project from early days to completion.
What are some of the challenges that you have faced on-site?
- Challenges due to lack of information, whether by documentation or other. In which I had to do a lot of digging around or request information from the client.
- Relationships/communication with sub-contractors, in some cases where a sub-contractor is submitting information, claims or variations the format is very difficult to understand and process. We are then faced with the challenge of trying to get these resolved.
Can you describe some of the key things that you have learned since you joined the company?
- I have learned the type of working relationships required with clients, superintendents, other members of my team and sub-contractors.
- Dealing with sub-contractors, from procurement and reviewing quotes, putting together a contract, processing claims and assessing variations.
- The general manner in which a construction site is run, including inductions, safety, quality, and financial aspects.
How would you describe the team environment?
- My team environment allowed me to develop and learn a lot from my team members in terms of construction knowledge & professional skills. While at the same time I was encouraged to put myself out there, take some responsibility and accountability for the works I was given.
- Overall it was a fun and positive environment where open communication and good team morale allowed me to feel at home and develop good working relations.
What makes you proud to work at Icon?
- I am proud to work at Icon as this is a good time to be with the company with the recent merger. A company where the blue Icon symbol is recognised across the world and will be even more so in upcoming years.
- I am proud to work for a company that values its employees and one with such a high staff retention.
- The calibre and quality of jobs that Icon produces and are capable of.
What advice would you give to new Graduates or Cadets joining the team?
- My advice would be to learn as much as you can from the people around you, see the best way to do and go about things but at the same time be pro active in trying to be involved and show your interest to demonstrate what you are capable of.
- I advise to spend some time on site to see how things go, any items/packages you are looking after, which will help you be more successful and give a better understanding.
What do you do in your spare time?
- Hang out with friends
- Watch sports (NBA)
- Try new places to eat